Tuesday, March 15, 2011

"Trust the Bike"

Well, here's where the "anecdotes" part comes in... This story doesn't really relate to my allergies and food, other than the fact that if I hadn't sorted out the whole food/ health thing, there would be no way I would have been able to do this today!  This time last year I was going to the doctor all the time, taking a bunch of different supplements, and was still feeling void of any energy and flat out sick.  But... here I am now, a year later, not eating the foods that make me sick (taking a few medications) and feeling like I HAVE to take advantage of it.  So... after a trip to the gym, Scott and I went on a bike ride through Fantasy Island!  Yup, I had just been riding in the wash area behind our house, but I have graduated to Fantasy Island!  We did the easy paths, which you enter via the Valencia entrance, but it was great.  I had a great time, didn't fall, and didn't get frustrated at all.  I will be honest and say I may or may not have walked my bike through 2 huge (in my opinion) dips...  Anyway, the lesson I learned today comes from Scott... "trust the bike".  I must learn to trust it so I can graduate to more challenging paths... and I need to try to stop being as afraid when going through the dips.  But oh well, today was an improvement, and we had a great time!  (Notice the bikes on the rack in the background... this was after our ride, hence the helmet head)

5 comments:

  1. It was a GREAT ride! And you did GREAT! I only wish that I had remembered that section of Fantasy Island sooner...oh well. Next time we'll do Snake Loop as well as what we did yesterday...you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luv this post Al- It reminded me of the first time Eric took me cycling a long time ago. I still remember getting on my first road bike with cycling shoes, shorts, etc.. As soon as I clipped into the pedals, I tipped right over...clipped in and all. The chain caught my ankle, and I felt pretty ridiculous, not to mention a bit scared to get back on. Yet, I clipped right back on and followed Eric all the way from Oro Valley to Catalina. The uphill was exhausting and the downhill back home was scary. However, once I relaxed some I began to have a lot more fun and actually enjoyed cycling. Anyway, I thought I'd share my silly cycling story with you. Keep up the awesome work and enjoy your outdoor adventures. They are certainly fun to do. Xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Leiana!!! That's a great story. That sounds like a long (and scary) ride. Thanks for your encouragement... are you still riding? One of the first times I rode through the wash on my mountain bike I went up a steep (in my opinion) slant not going fast enough, and I tipped right over. I sat there tangled in my bike for a few moments, with my head in my hands, thinking "did that really just happen?" I did quite the number on my knee and leg, but it healed and I got back on. Made for a good story at work as far as why I had the bandage... clearly I didn't tell the truth (that I tipped over), instead i made up some way more interesting story. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo!! Running, now cycling -- pretty soon you'll be doing triathlons! =) Scott's such a great motivator and supporter for you. You guys are a great pair!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jen! So nice of you to say that. He is a GREAT motivator- Super patient, especially when I come up to a huge dip in the trail, get scared and then walk my bike through! (only happened twice during our ride)

    ReplyDelete